A whole lot of pain for a little bit of redemption.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

A Race to the Outlets

Often cyclocross races bring great bargaining power. I persuaded Paul to join me at my race on Saturday, October 4 in Hagerstown, so long as we went to the Hagerstown Outlets afterwards. It was much a motivator for me as it was for him. 

Another afternoon race afforded us time to sleep in and enjoy some coffee and donuts before leaving the house. 

As we drove, I tried to recall the course from last year and my memory proved fuzzy with the details, until I remembered that it had been this race last year that I had shown up with a raging hangover, spent watching the Red Sox play in the american league playoffs. Like last year, the Sox had won the night before but happily the hangover didn't accompany it. 

I benefited from my solid finish last week by enjoying a call up at the start of the 3/4 race. The race had minor changes, but overall it was fun and fast. A shorter course with not many obstacles. However it was full of sharp right-hand turns that proved to be mentally and physically taxing. 

Paul cheered me on from his spot near the VB tent and finish line. It was nice to see his smiling face. Even though he remains mystified by the strange sport, he is very supportive and enthusiastic. 

On the second lap as I approached the barriers, my back tire caught the barrier and sent me flying forward. I caught myself before hitting the second barrier, but I must have crashed my leg into my pedal, as after the race, a large growth emerged from my right leg. It seemed to be growing rapidly, throbbing and clotting. 

Determined to make it to the outlets where my fabulous new fall coat awaited me, I threw on my cycling skirt to keep the area free from constraining clothing. Paul and I made it to the outlets and sought relief via Orange Julius. Properly rejuvenated with sugar and fruit, we managed our way through stores in search of our new fall wardrobe. My plight resulted in a new pair of corduroys, a skirt and the aforementioned fall coat. 

Ultimately the day proved successful, I finished 18 out of 23. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home