A whole lot of pain for a little bit of redemption.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Death Spiral of Love

Marisa Peacock
10.16.06

I forced myself into the car, tired and prone to whining. I wanted to crawl into bed and take comfort in the warmth of my apartment, rather than the sun-drenched wind that greeted me outside. But I talked myself into going. I reminded myself that this was a good race for me last year and that it was the last MABRA race for two weeks. If I wanted to get points, I needed to show up.

I left just in time to make it to Michaux State Forest with enough time to prep for a 130p race. Got a good parking spot and made my way to registration. I ran into some familiar faces. Saw Thom and Ron at the finish area. I asked them about the course—was it the same as last year’s? They said that it was, except of course for the Death Spiral.

Death Spiral???? Say what!?

The course was set up to lead us into a field of cleverly woven tape, we spiral in until we are forced to make a very sharp turn that allows us to spiral our way out again. Watching it done on the course was hypnotizing. I was a bit concerned as I lack a certain amount of depth perception useful to distinguish my way through the tape that outlines cross courses. On a good day, I get tied up—today was sure to be a challenge!

I didn’t pre-ride the course. Instead I took myself for a warm up on the road. About 15 minutes before the race, I gathered by the now-dried up lake for the start. Melanie, Deidre, Beth and others started to gather as well. We exchanged pleasant conversation and I no longer felt grossly out of place.

We were off and as was becoming usual, I didn’t stay with the pack long. This again would be my own race, but I was feeling good---spinning well and being strategic in my dismounts/remounts (which still need work). This time around, the sand pit failed to disrupt my flow. However, I think my tire pressure was too low. I overheard Judd talking before the race and he was recommending a lower pressure. For once I actually made an effort to check my pressure and let some out. I started at around 35 psi. I usually ride a much higher pressure. I can’t tell if it felt really soft because I rarely ride so low, or if the course was just not meant for that low pressure.

Interestingly and contrary to just about everyone else’s account, the more laps I did, the better I got at climbing the starting ascent. It was a winding incline on sand and dirt and gravel. Each time around, I found the right line and shifted more strategically. A junior competitor and I played cat and mouse. Oddly, he’d get in front of me through the tangled web of tape and I would beat him up the hill quite handily. Go figure.

I felt much better this weekend and was proud of my finish, though it still be last place. I am optimistic that I bumped myself into the top ten in the rankings this week. I must say consistency is my best weapon these days. Coming in last may not be ideal, but I need to keep perspective. It’s a much stronger field than last year and it’s not so bad losing to the pros, especially when they cheer you on, as Diedre did. She even said my name. How do you like that?—she knows my name. How cool. How very cool, indeed.

Overall finish: 11th place (5 points)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home